Author: Jennifer Saunders
Revised Policy: Immunization and Communicable Disease Policy
Immunization and Communicable Disease Screening Committee is requesting comments on revisions made to the policy on Immunization and Communicable Disease Policy. A summary of the changes are listed below. The full revised policy may be viewed by clicking here. Please submit all comments no later than July 22, 2013 by using the “Discussion” Comments: Communicable Disease Screening Policy
The changes to this policy are as follows:
- Students are now required to submit evidence of their status, in accordance with the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA) Communicable Disease Surveillance Protocols.
- Document review is now in conjunction with an Occupational Health, Safety and Infection Control consultant.
Revised Policy: Student Initiated Extracurricular Learning Activities
The Teaching and Learning Committee is requesting comments on revisions made to the policy on Student Initiated Extracurricular Learning Activities. A summary of the changes are listed below. The full revised policy may be viewed by clicking here. Please submit all comments no later than March 8, 2013 by using the “Discussion” Comments: Policy on Student Initiated Extracurricular Activities
Student Initiated Extracurricular Learning Activities have been in place for many years. A policy is needed only to ensure that these activities complement but do not supersede planned curricular activities and to direct those activities that become part of the “Dean’s Letter”. The last version of this policy, 2007, has received only a few changes:
- A new definition and background statement have been added specifying that these activities must not impinge on curricular time.
- The new Student Liaison position in the Aesculapian Society which offers substantial assistance to students, UGME Office and Teaching and Learning Committee, has been woven into the procedures.
- The procedures have been separated from the policy.
- The Teaching and Learning Committee now assumes responsibility for vetting and approving these activities as part of their mandate to oversee opportunities for independent and lifelong learning.
- The students’ submission of attendance records only will trigger the entry into Dean’s Letter.
A letter has been sent to all of us from the Provost’s Office about copyright. In essence it states:
- Queen’s has decided along with many other universities not to sign a license with Access Copyright.
- All course materials must comply with Copyright Act and other university policies/guidelines. Do NOT post scanned copyrighted material to MEdTech (or Moodle) or on a course website without obtaining clearance from the Copyright Advisory Office.
- The Copyright Advisory Office’s service will facilitate copyright compliance for course materials. This involves investigation and purchase of copyright clearance for chapters from a book or other print source.
- Course Packs and Library course reserves are other options for you.
- The Copyright Advisory Office can help you select specific options for your courses.
- A new system for this academic year will assist you in uploading materials and assuring materials comply with both accessibility and copyright materials. More details will follow in the fall.
- Please contact the Copyright Advisory Office, using their website: which has FAQs etc. Or contact Copyright Specialist Mark Swartz at (613) 533-6000 ext 78510 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For the complete letter from the Provost’s Office click here.
Flu Shot Clinics
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety, in conjunction with the KFLA Health Unit, is sponsoring two separate Flu Shot Clinic’s at the University this year. This will be a chance for all faculty, students and staff to take advantage of the free vaccination program offered by the Ministry of Health.
Monday, October 29th, 2012 – 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. New Medical Bldg., Corner of Arch and Stuart Street Entrance at Deacons Walk (North Entrance facing Biosciences Bldg.)
Monday, November 26, 2012 – 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. New Medical Bldg., Corner of Arch and Stuart Street Entrance at Deacons Walk (North Entrance facing Biosciences Bldg.)