Nominations for the third iteration of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC) Exceptional Healer Awards are open with a deadline of December 14.
Launched in 2017, the Exceptional Healer Awards are sponsored by the KHSC Patient & Family Advisory Council and was designed to honour a physician who demonstrates in clinical practices the core concepts of patient- and family-centred care: dignity and respect, information sharing, participation, and collaboration.
Prior honorees include ophthalmologist Dr. Tom Gonder and anesthesiologist Dr. Richard Henry (2017, tie) and urogynecologist Dr. Shawna Johnston (2018).
The award has been expanded this year to include one for physicians and one for nurses.
Physician nominees must, as a faculty member at Queen’s, have a current appointment at KHSC and have been credentialed at KHSC for at least the past two years. Nurse nominees must be KHSC staff members.
Patients and family members can nominate a KHSC physician and/or nurse who have provided care to them in the last two years while KHSC staff can nominate a physician and/or a nurse on a patient care team.
The awards committee is looking for nominees who:
- Demonstrate compassion as a skillful clinician by displaying personal qualities such as approachability, flexibility and empathy
- Use novel or innovative methods in attempting to deliver compassionate care
- Demonstrate a pattern of listening to and honouring patient and family perspectives and choices
- Exhibit a value of integrating patients and families into the clinical care model to ensure they are equal, informed participants in their health care
- Honour the uniqueness of patients and families by incorporating their knowledge, values, beliefs and cultural backgrounds into the planning and delivery of care
For the 2018 award, patients, families and staff nominated 21 physicians for the award. Thirty-four nominations were receive, with about 25 percent coming from KHSC staff.
Medical students and nursing students are eligible to submit nominations in the “staff” category.
Further information and links to the nomination forms can be found here: http://www.kgh.on.ca/healer