There are several different award options available to students. All other awards (scholarships, bursaries, medals, etc.) are listed at the top of this page when they become available.
A list of awards, including scholarships and bursaries are available, click on the links below:
Funding for Conferences
Funding is available from the Dean’s Office for medical students presenting original work accepted at a recognized academic conference. Medical students are eligible to receive up to $1000.00 in Canadian funds over the course of their medical program. Funding is available to attend a conference during the academic year (September 1st to June 30th).
Annual funding is capped at $60,000.00 per year. Therefore funds will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications will be accepted in the fall term and in the winter term. Application for funding MUST be made prior to their departure. Funds will be allocated as follows: up to $25,000 in the fall term and $35,000 in the winter term.
Receiving funding is a three-step process. Steps 1 and 2 must be completed prior to departure.
- STEP 1 - OBTAIN APPROVAL FROM UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION OFFICE (UGME)
- All students are required to complete the appropriate Approval for Time Off Form: Pre-clerkship and Clerkship Units or the Clinical Clerkship Rotations by following the Procedure for Requesting Approval for Time Off in Undergraduate Medicine. Students will receive notification of approval for time off via email from the Undergraduate Medical Education Office. In the event that this activity takes place outside of Canada, students are required to complete the steps listed under International Activities. Students who have not received approval for time off prior to their departure or have not adhered to the policies related to International Activities will not be eligible for funding. You will receive a response to your request (for time off and permission to travel) within two weeks of submitting your request - provided that you have filled out the required forms completely and accurately. If you have any questions regarding Step 1, please contact the Curricular Coordinator responsible for your Year.
*AFTER YOU HAVE RECEIVED APPROVAL FROM UGME
- STEP 2 - SEND DETAILS REGARDING CONFERENCE AND YOUR PRESENTATION TO VICE DEAN EDUCATION'S OFFICE (Dr. Leslie Flynn)
- Students who have not requested funding prior to their departure will not be eligible to receive funding.
- Complete the Request for Conference Funding Form. Please also attach the approval for time off from the UGME office and approval for international travel, if applicable. Email this information to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a response to your request for funding within a week. If you have any questions regarding Step 2 please contact the Vice Dean Education’s office at 533-6000 ext. 78273.
- STEP 3 - OBTAIN REIMBURSEMENT FROM FINANCE OFFICE
- The Faculty of Health Sciences Finance Office will receive notification of your approval for funding and your permission to travel. Receipts must be submitted in order to obtain reimbursement. Funding can be provided in advance if necessary, and if adequate lead-time is given. It is suggested that you contact the Finance Office prior to your departure so you can discuss receipts, boarding passes, allowable expenses, etc. Upon your return submit your documents to the Finance Office, which is located in Botterell Hall, Room 217. If you have any questions regarding Step 3 please contact Carrie Fraser, email@example.com
On occasion, there are students who have pursued their scholarly work and have an additional opportunity to present this work. There will be a small pool of funding to support those students. This will require a separate application to the Vice Dean Education. Information regarding the ongoing progress of the work and its role in the student’s career path will be required. Financial support provided by the research supervisor will be expected. If approved by the Vice Dean Education, the student will then proceed through Steps 1 to 3 as described above.