My Leave is URGENT (Immediate & Unplanned)
- Contact the Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs & Programmatic Quality Assuranceor the Associate Dean, MD Program
*Each have the ability to grant leave immediately and application may be received after the leave has commenced.
- Obtain response/confirmation of receipt
Or student may contact appropriate Faculty Lead and Curricular Coordinator and obtain response/confirmation of receipt.
Remain in contact with MD Program as directed and provide notification of expected date of return as soon as known.
The Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs and Programmatic Quality Assurance will determine best reintegration plan and communicate outcome/decision to student.
My Leave is NON-URGENT (Planned in Advance)
YEAR 1, YEAR 2, CLERKSHIP C-COURSES
(Requests must be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance for pre-clerkship, and 6 weeks in advance of the clinical rotation for clerkship).
- Determine if there are any mandatory sessions during time away.
- Complete the online form “Pre-clerkship and C-courses Time off Request” on the Elentra MD Resources Community. Supply any supporting documentation & plan for make up of missed sessions.
- Obtain response/confirmation of approval. A Curricular Coordinator will be in touch within 3-5 business days.
During CLINICAL CLERKSHIP Block
- Determine if there are any mandatory attendance dates during time away (ie. mandatory teaching, orientation, mid or end of rotation assessment meeting, SIM, exam).
- Complete the appropriate online form found on the Clerkship Overview page on Elentra. Supply any supporting documentation & plan for make up of missed sessions.
- Obtain response/confirmation of approval email from respective Program Administrator.
- Notify preceptors and chief residents, and switchboard at your hospital.
- In the case of call – arrange for coverage with another clerk.
The Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs & Programmatic Quality Assurance will consider any re-entry requirements based on length of absence and communicate the outcome/decision to student.
Applying for long term absences (1 week or more)
- Submit request in writing to Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs and Programmatic Quality Assurance – include expected date of return if possible.
- Advise appropriate Year Director or Coordinator of the nature of the leave request.
- Obtain response/confirmation of approval.
Re-entry requirements will be reviewed by the Progress and Promotions Committee, via the Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs & Programmatic Quality Assurance, who will communicate the outcome/decision to student.