Information for Queen's Residents:
Queen's residents interested in completing electives within Canada are encouraged to contact the host institution and complete the required steps.
Queen's residents interested in completing an elective in the US or an international elective should follow the PGME Global Health Guidelines.
Please register for pre-departure training here: https://healthsci.queensu.ca/faculty-staff/cpd/programs/pdt2019
Please also note
Liability Insurance and Licensure:
- Residents are responsible for ensuring they have appropriate licensure in the Province where they are completing the elective. Your CPSO license is only applicable in Ontario.
- CMPA coverage is applicable within Canada. CMPA insists that residents contact them directly to notify them of any changes. Residents must notify the CMPA to inform them of the place and dates of any elective if outside of Ontario.
Outside of Canada and including the United States
- Residents are responsible for obtaining information and for securing the appropriate medical licensure and malpractice coverage for the location where they will be completing the elective.
- Residents are responsible for communicating with the institution or location where the elective will occur to find out what medical liability coverage they recognize. If the resident is not automatically covered for medical liability by the accepting institution, the resident is responsible for securing such coverage as recommended and recognized by that institution.
- For their own protection, residents are strongly encouraged to communicate with the accepting institution in writing or by email. Residents should maintain this information for their records should there be a dispute regarding the lack of coverage or inappropriate coverage. Any disputes or legal implications will be the responsibility of the resident to resolve with the accepting institution. Residents will be financially responsible for any legal fees incurred.
Information for residents at other institutions wishing to complete an elective at Queen's:
The Postgraduate Medical Education Office at Queen's University welcomes medical trainees from other schools to register as elective residents in order to satisfy a specified part of the requirements of the ongoing residency training program in which they are enrolled at their home institution. Elective training is short-term training that does not exceed 6 months in duration.
- For Residents Currently Enrolled in Residency Training in Ontario
- For Residents Currently Enrolled in Residency Training in Canada but Outside of Ontario
- For US Residents Currently Enrolled in Residency Training in the United States
- For Residents Currently Enrolled in Residency Training Outside of Canada or the United States