Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search

You must contact your local police station and complete the application for a Criminal Record Check (also referred to as a Criminal Background Check or Police Reference Check) including the Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS).  This may normally be done on-line through the website for your local police force.  Payment for this report is your responsibility and when it is ready, you must collect from your police station in person with proper identification. 

The report must be conducted within the last six months and an original copy or notarized copy must be submitted to the Postgraduate Medical Education Office before you will be allowed to register.  Our mailing address is:

Postgraduate Medical Education
Queen's University
70 Barrie Street
Kingston, ON  K7L 3N6. 

It is a condition of employment that all new KGH staff, including residents, must consent to disclosure of criminal records and information including pardoned sexual offences. 

* For Residents from the Toronto area, please email Leslie Barroso at to request a Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information form in order to apply for a CPIC/VSS search through the Toronto Police Service. 

You are strongly advised to begin this process immediately.  If you cannot provide identification as noted, the only way your background check can be processed is by submitting fingerprints to the RCMP. The RCMP currently estimates that the delay in processing exceeds 120 days.

You may also be required to supply a Criminal Records Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search report to other institutions (e.g., CPSO). The PGME office requires the Criminal Records Check and a Vulnerable Sector Search report and they must be  originals or a notarized copy.