Historiography of medicine. Graduate Seminar.
An examination of historiographic aspects of medical history,
including its history and philosophy, old and new subjects, old
and new methods, and old and new text styles. Students may orient
their readings to focus either on specific periods and place
or on broad trends in history.
- To understand history (of medicine) as
an object of study in itself, with a history, philosophy, sociology,
- To recognize and understand the reasons
for major trends in recent scholarship, with optional emphasis
- To enhance ability to read, understand
and evaluate (medical) historical scholarship and writing.
- To enhance ability to recognize the merits
and defects of (medical) historical scholarship.
- To improve skills at (medical) historical
scholarship and writing.
Class readings 2011