GIDRU facilities include a leading-edge molecular biology and tissue culture facility, confocal microscopy, and an ion imaging / electrophysiology laboratory.

Important milestones for GIDRU

1982
GIDRU established in under the direction of Dr. Ivan Beck at Hotel Dieu Hospital.

2000
GIDRU was awarded a CFI (Canadian Foundation for Innovation) grant to help build the new facility attached to Kingston General Hospital. The equipment purchased with this grant allowed this to become a state-of-the-art facility.

2002
GIDRU was awarded a major grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) to inaugurate a CIHR Training Program in Digestive Sciences to help train M.Sc. and Ph.D. students as well as clinical and post-doctoral fellows in digestive disease research.

Today
GIDRU is a diverse multidisciplinary group: Clinician Scientists from the Departments of Medicine, Surgery and Pathology Basic science faculty from the Departments of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology and Immunology and Physiology. Many of the clinical faculty are cross-appointed in basic science departments to facilitate the supervision of graduate students and post-doctoral fellows.
















The GIDRU Building

Completed in 2006, the GIDRU building is a wing of Kingston General Hospital and is located directly opposite Botterall Hall and the Queen's University medical sciences departments.

The building includes 10000 sq. ft of state of the art laboratory and office space, and incorporates the latest sustainable design and energy efficient features.

It is joined to what was once Canada's first parliament building. During construction, a time capsule containing the hospital's 1911 Annual Report, fundraising program and copies of the Daily British Whig and the Daily Standard were discovered in September 2005 within the cornerstone of the Empire wing.