Awards CommitteeTerms of Reference
- To act on the delegated authority of SOMAC to determine the recipients of those awards available in the School of Medicine which are not given on the recommendation of individual departments and the report the awards annually to SOMAC.
- To maintain liaison with departments in regard to their recommending the recipients of departmental awards.
- To recommend to the School of Medicine Academic Council and thence to Faculty Board the policies of the School on the acceptance of gifts for scholarships, prizes and other awards from benefactors and others.
- To recommend to the School of Medicine Academic Council and thence to Faculty Board the policies of the School on the giving of scholarships, prizes and other awards which are under the jurisdiction of the School and its departments.
- To review the terms and conditions prescribed for awards given by benefactors and others and for which students in the School of Medicine are eligible, and to advise School of Medicine Academic Council and thence to Faculty Board on the appropriateness of such terms and conditions, bearing in mind current custom, standards and methods of evaluation.
- To act on the delegated authority of SOMAC to decide the terms and conditions of new awards in accordance with the policies established by Faculty Boards.
Normally the meetings of this Committee shall be closed and the minutes shall be confidential.Membership
Five elected member of Faculty (consisting of two from clinical departments and two from basic science departments), each to serve for three consecutive years; one member shall retire each year and shall be eligible for re-election. The Associate Dean and the Manager of the Undergraduate Medical Education shall be an ex officio member.
The Chairperson shall be appointed annually by the Director of the School from the elected membership and shall be eligible for re-appointment. The committee shall appoint its own Secretary.
Membership changed to Five members approved by SOMAC October 18, 2011
Terms revised October 5, 2006
Terms of Reference - January 1992
Membership Updated June 2006