Ron Wigle Mentorship Award
Establishment of Award
The Ron Wigle Mentorship Award was established in the School of Medicine at Queen’s
University to honour Dr. Ronald Wigle in recognition of his role as outstanding mentor and the
professional values he epitomized throughout his career.
Purpose of Award
Dr. Wigle was committed to promoting the success of others to the ultimate benefit of the
medical community at large. Throughout his exemplary career at Queen's University, numerous
faculty, undergraduate and graduate students flourished through his wise guidance and
encouraging leadership. This award, named in his honor, will help to perpetuate these important
virtues by recognizing those who embody them.
This award will be presented consistent with the following guidelines:
- The award will be available for one Faculty Member each year within the School of Medicine at Queen’s University who demonstrates the highest standard of achievement inmentorship of others. The nominee will be identified as a role model for colleagues and learners and as one who exhibits qualities in keeping with the values of professionalism.
- Any faculty member, resident or medical student in the School of Medicine can make a nomination. Alternatively, a group may submit a joint nomination. Nominations should consist of a completed copy of the attached nomination form and a detailed letter outlining the reasons for the nomination. A resume of the nominee is not needed nor will it be considered as any part of a nomination.
- Nominations are to be submitted annually to the Vice-Dean Education. Selection will be made by a committee appointed by the Vice-Dean Education. The Vice-Dean Education will Chair this selection committee to be comprised of the Associate Dean Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME), or designate; the Associate Dean Undergraduate Medical Education (UGME), or designate; the Director of UGME Student Affairs; a PGME Program Director; a Resident and a representative from the Aesculapian Society.
- All nominees will receive a letter informing them of their nomination.
- This award will be presented to the recipient at the Dean’s annual Faculty of Health Sciences Reception in June. The award recipient will receive a certificate of recognition and up to $2000.00 towards the cost of participation at an educational meeting of their choosing.