Observership PrivilegesIn order to request Observership Privileges, a request should be submitted to the Medical Staff Office by the appropriate Department Head accompanied by the following:
- A letter of recommendation from the Department Head/Delegate including identification of the supervisor, description of the activities to be undertaken by the applicant and a statement acknowledging that patients will be informed of the applicant's activities and will give permission for their involvement
- A letter from the institution of primary affiliation attesting as to the applicant's skill, expertise and academic standing, if applicable
- A brief curriculum vitae
- A confidentiality agreement signed by the applicant
- In the case of students from other medical schools observing in the absence of an approved elective rotation, evidence of insurance covering the period of the observership (personal injury workplace insurance)
- If activities are Operating Room related, the applicant's supervisor must obtain the permission of the OR Manager to attend and obtain the permission of the surgeon and anesthetist to view a procedure
- A Communicable Disease Health Form is required if the applicant's activities are for 90 days or more pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act. Please advise the Medical Staff Office if this is the case and a letter of explanation will be provided.